Master Use Permit (MUP) Revisions

What Is It?

A revision to a land use / master use permit (MUP) allows you to submit minor plan changes to an issued permit.

A minor MUP revision has little or no effect on the design or environmental impact of your issued permit. The revision must:

  • Be consistent with the current code
  • Not create or increase any inconsistencies with the current code for the original permit
  • Not require public notice
  • Not require any new appealable approvals

If we determine that your proposed changes can be approved as a minor revision, we will issue an update to your original permit.

Major revisions require a new permit. The new permit may use the early design guidance from the previous MUP. The revision must:

  • Be consistent with the current code
  • Have public notice
  • Have a new, appealable decision published

Rules to Follow

  • You can submit revisions as long as the permit has not expired or been finalized.
  • Shoreline permits must follow different rules in shoreline zones, which are governed by the Shoreline Management Act (RCW 90.58), the City’s Shoreline Master Program (SMC 23.60), and the Washington Administrative Code (WAC). The state’s rules relevant to shoreline permit and enforcement procedures are found in WAC 173-27. We will process shoreline permits as a minor revision. See Tip 224B, Master Use Permit (MUP) Revisions, for more information.

How Much Does It Cost?

We charge a land use hourly rate to determine whether your request is a minor revision, and to review your revision. You need to pay for a minimum of one hour and an intake appointment fee when you submit your revision. We will invoice you additional hourly fees, as applicable. See our Fee Subtitle for detailed fees.

How Long Does It Take?

How long it takes to get the final permit depends on how complex your project is and how many corrections, if any, you need to make. However, we do try to finish the initial review within two weeks.

Steps to Get a Revision

Bring your application materials to the Public Resource Center. You don't need an appointment. However, you do need to submit your application by 3:30 p.m. A complete application consists of:

  • Application forms
  • A written description of the changes, including supporting documentation for the revision
  • Two sets of the revised plan sheets only, minimum size 18 by 18 inches, with changes highlighted on the revised sheets

Construction and Inspections

Nathan Torgelson, Director
Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 2000, Seattle, WA, 98104
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA, 98124-4019
Phone: (206) 684-8600
Phone Alt: Violation Complaint Line: (206) 615-0808
Contact Us

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Construction and Inspections

SDCI issues land use, construction, and trade permits, conducts construction and housing-related inspections, ensures compliance with our codes, and regulates rental rules. SDCI is committed to an antiracist workplace and to addressing racism through our work in the community.