ID Theft

  • Call the Police: To report a physical theft of your belongings, or a robbery. If immediate danger is over, you can make a report to the Seattle Police non-emergency line: (206) 625-5011
  • You can make a report of Identity Theft online if:
    • Suspect knowingly obtains, possesses, uses, or transfers identification or financial information of another person.
    • With intent to commit, aid, or abet any crime
    • Does NOT include NSF or forged checks
    • Includes the establishment of a new account
      Make a report of Identity Theft

      Select "Identity Theft" as your incident type to start your report.

  • Call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service office 877-876-2455 or 800-275-8777 - If the crime involved U.S. mail.
  • Call the issuing credit card company - if the crime involved credit card fraud.

Next Steps

  • Call the Federal Trade Commission 1-877-IDTHEFT - For counseling and help to resolve problems arising from this crime.
  • Call one of the major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion): to see if any new accounts were opened in your name without your consent. You can place a "fraud alert" on your file. Please note: If you call before you have a police incident number, the alert stays on your information for only 90 days. If you call WITH a police incident number, the alert will stay on your file for 7 years.
  • Keep a record: When you start calling agencies to report your case, keep a record of the names and phone numbers of the people you talked to, along with any supporting documentation.


Sue Rahr, Interim Chief of Police
Address: 610 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA, 98104-1900
Mailing Address: PO Box 34986, Seattle, WA, 98124-4986
Phone: (206) 625-5011
Contact Us

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Police

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) prevents crime, enforces laws, and supports quality public safety by delivering respectful, professional, and dependable police services. SPD operates within a framework that divides the city into five geographical areas called "precincts".