15.230 - Animal Control

Effective Date: 05/07/2019


If there has been an obvious infraction of City ordinances pertaining to animal control, officers may use their discretion in whether to issue a ticket, write a Report, give a verbal warning, or defer the matter for enforcement by the City of Seattle Animal Control Division. The Animal Control Division is available from 0700-2000 hours daily (206-386-7387).

I. Investigation of Animal Complaints

A. The following types of calls are the primary investigatory responsibility of Patrol:

1. Vicious animals presently endangering someone,

2. Theft of animals, and

3. Poisoning/shooting of animals.

B. Officers shall advise Animal Control when they are responding to an animal bite or a vicious animal, as Animal Control has the primary responsibility for follow-up in these cases.

C. Officers shall use whatever resources are available to them when handling animal control situations when Animal Control is not available. Extreme caution in handling these situations should be exercised, as officer safety is a concern.

II. Routing of Paperwork

A. Officers shall forward, via inter-departmental mail, copies of all Notice of Infractions and Criminal Citations (front and back of the Court Copy) concerning animals to Animal Control for follow-up.

B. When officers complete a Report concerning animals, Records will forward copies to Animal Control for follow-up.

III. Resources

A. Nuisance Wildlife

1. The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife will give advice and will offer referrals to the public concerning nuisance wildlife (e.g., raccoons, squirrels, etc.).

2. When the Fish and Wildlife office is closed, the Communications Section has a list of trappers and exterminators for referral. These trappers and exterminators offer their services to citizens for a fee.

B. Injured wildlife

1. Officers may call Animal Control (206-386-7387) in cases where wildlife is injured. Animal Control will respond on a case-by-case basis.

2. When Animal Control is unable to assist, the Communications Section has a resource list of rehabilitators. These resources offer assistance on a case-by-case basis, and often require that the animal be brought to their facility.

C. Injured Domesticated Animals

1. If an owner cannot be located, Animal Control is available during their hours of operation to pick up an injured domesticated animal and will take the animal to an emergency clinic.

2. After hours, officers may take injured animals to a city contract emergency clinic. The City of Seattle contracts with two veterinary clinics for emergency night service. Coordinate the delivery of an injured animal through the Communications Section.

D. Impounded Animals

1. Animal Control facilities are available to officers after hours, to kennel impounded animals. Prior to leaving the animal shelter, officers must complete an "Impound Form" and place it on the cage with the animal.

a. These forms are available in the receiving area of the shelter.

b. The Communications Section has instructions for officers leaving an animal in the animal shelter.

E. Dead Animals

1. Animal Control will respond to pick up dead animals during their hours of operation.


Adrian Diaz, Chief of Police
Address: 610 5th Avenue, Seattle, WA, 98104-1900
Mailing Address: PO Box 34986, Seattle, WA, 98124-4986
Phone: (206) 625-5011
Contact Us

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Police

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) prevents crime, enforces laws, and supports quality public safety by delivering respectful, professional, and dependable police services. SPD operates within a framework that divides the city into five geographical areas called "precincts".

Site Disclaimer: The Seattle Police Department's website was developed to provide general information. Data contained at this location is generally not reviewed for legal sufficiency. SPD documents displayed are for reference purposes only. Their completeness or currency are not guaranteed. Links or references to other information or organizations are for reference only and do not constitute an endorsement.